We’re glad you’re interested in volunteering with Breakthrough! Breakthrough is a special place to volunteer – and to make a difference in our world. We simply could not achieve our mission without scores of talented and dedicated volunteers. In fact, we have over 150 volunteers working with our students, teachers and program on an annual basis.
Signing on to volunteer with Breakthrough means joining a diverse, vibrant community committed to advancing educational equity. Check out the many ways in which you can get involved.
- Mock Interviews: Give our students the opportunity to practice interviewing in advance of college admissions or internship interviews or entrance to other academic enrichment programs.
- College Access Coach: Coaches work one-on-one to support students throughout the college application process and specifically with writing admissions essays. Training provided. Commitment: One school year, 1-2 hours per week. View the College Access Coach job description and follow directions to apply.
- Mentor a High School Intern: Host one of our committed students at your organization for 2-5 days a week for at least six weeks over the summer.
- Career Day or Panel: Expose our students to a range of professions by serving as a host site for our annual career day or coming to speak on a panel about the highlights of your job and career path.
PROJECTS AND ADMINISTRATIVE
- Event Volunteers: Assist with set-up, registration, and clean-up for our three annual events; Breakthroughs in Education in December, the Breakthrough Gala in April, and our Celebration events in August.
- Event Committees: Help shape our important annual events by finding venues, creating marketing plans and spreading the word, selecting food and décor, acquiring auction and raffle items, creating event materials and more!
- Host a House Party: Host a small group at your house or a local venue and introduce them to Breakthrough Greater Boston. We’ll be on hand to lead a conversation about the need for and impact of our work with college-bound students and aspiring educators!
- Special Student Lunch Host: Each week during the summer, our students enjoy a special meal provided by some of our community partners. You and fellow volunteers will bring and serve the meal and then sit and chat with our dynamic students and teachers.
For further information on any volunteer opportunities, please call our office at (617) 349-6647, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for your help!