We’re glad you’re interested in volunteering with Breakthrough! Breakthrough is a special place to volunteer – and to make a difference in our world. We simply could not achieve our mission without scores of talented and dedicated volunteers. In fact, we have over 150 volunteers working with our students, teachers and program on an annual basis.
Signing on to volunteer with Breakthrough means joining a diverse, vibrant community committed to advancing educational equity. Check out the many ways in which you can get involved.
Academic Mentor: Work one-on-one with a motivated student to help them tackle their hardest subject. Training provided. Commitment: At least one semester, preferably entire school year. Meetings are one hour each week at one of our campuses or the local public library. View the Academic Mentor job description and application.
- Mock Interviews: Give our students the opportunity to practice interviewing in advance of college admissions or internship interviews or entrance to other academic enrichment programs.
- College Access Coach: Coaches work one-on-one to support students throughout the college application process and specifically with writing admissions essays. Training provided. Commitment: One school year, 1-2 hours per week. View the College Access Coach job description and follow directions to apply.
- Mentor a High School Intern: Host one of our committed students at your organization for 2-5 days a week for at least six weeks over the summer.
- Career Day or Panel: Expose our students to a range of professions by serving as a host site for our annual career day or coming to speak on a panel about the highlights of your job and career path.
Teacher Appreciation Dinner Host: Ensure our extremely hard-working teachers feel appreciated by sponsoring an end-of-summer dinner at a local restaurant.
PROJECTS AND ADMINISTRATIVE
Office Projects: A range of administrative projects arise for which we need additional hands including mailings for families, newsletter distribution, and organizing portfolios of student work to share with interested visitors and supporters. Some projects can be done off-site.
- Event Volunteers: Assist with set-up, registration, and clean-up for our three annual events; Breakthroughs in Education in December, the Breakthrough Gala in April, and our Celebration events in August.
- Event Committees: Help shape our important annual events by finding venues, creating marketing plans and spreading the word, selecting food and décor, acquiring auction and raffle items, creating event materials and more!
- Host a House Party: Host a small group at your house or a local venue and introduce them to Breakthrough Greater Boston. We’ll be on hand to lead a conversation about the need for and impact of our work with college-bound students and aspiring educators!
- Special Student Lunch Host: Each week during the summer, our students enjoy a special meal provided by some of our community partners. You and fellow volunteers will bring and serve the meal and then sit and chat with our dynamic students and teachers.
We are often seeking donations of school and office supplies to ensure our students have what they need. Organize a drive at your office or out in the community! Read more about in-kind donations that will benefit Breakthrough.
For those with professional-level skills to share, we always need assistance with web design, photography, videography, graphic design and printing.
For further information on any volunteer opportunities, please call our office at (617) 349-6647, or e-mail email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your help!